Toothache and dental pain can be very debilitating and something you shouldn’t have to live with on a daily basis. Should you be experiencing any discomfort or pain please call one of our friendly Blacktown dentists straight away. We strive to help any patient with toothache as quickly as possible. We are here to look after your health and wellbeing.
Why does it occur and what causes it?
Tooth pain is a condition that can be caused by many different factors. Three main causes of tooth pain include:
- Tooth Decay: This occurs when bacteria has caused destruction of tooth structure. This can lead to sensitivity, pain and if left untreated can result in infection and absecess formation.
- Fractured Tooth or Filling: Exposed tooth structure can lead to pain and sensitivity. A fractured tooth or filling may lead to subsequent decay and possible tooth loss if left untreated.
- Gum Disease: There are many ways gum disease can cause tooth pain, especially if left untreated and it develops into periodontitis.
What happens if there is trauma or injury to my teeth?
If the tooth has been knocked out on the sports field:
- Place the tooth in milk or coconut water and make an immediate appointment with your dentist
- Teeth that are treated within the first 60 minutes of being knocked out or displaced have a far better chance of survival than if left untreated for a longer period of time.
If the tooth has been chipped or broken:
- Try to locate the missing piece if possible and bring it with you to your dentist appointment
- Call your dentist to make an emergency appointment as the chip or fracture may have caused exposure of the tooth nerve
- Early treatment if there is nerve exposure usually leads to a better outcome for the tooth